Sunday 29 March 2015

Exe to Axe, done that!

Monday 30th March
Yesterday I did what I thought was one of the hardest things I have ever done! I completed the Exe to Axe run that is 21.41miles from Exmouth to Seaton along the coast with over 3500 ft of ascent. 
I did it with one of my sons, we started together and finished together, supported by Mrs B, Mrs son and of course our grand daughter, who I am told spent a long time in the gale force winds, cheering and clapping other finishers, thus, deserving the best clappers medal.
Our time was 5hrs and 3mins, the winner did 2hrs 41mins so not far in front! ( LOL!) we came 183rd and 184th out of 203, so we didn't come last, the last person took 6hrs 20mins.

It was a great day out, starting in rain and gale force winds, that blew us along at times, the rain eased but the gales got stronger, under foot was very slippery at times, particularly the descent to Weston Mouth, very muddy!! Then the climb out saw our pace drop dramatically, with the length, steepness and muddyness of the climb.
My legs still ache this morning and I feel tired. A great event, scenery was awesome as you are always on the Southwest Coast Path, but it was very tough, with big climbs after Sidmouth, not one I think I will do again, it needs lots of long miles in the legs.
I think it's back to cycling now for the summer, running is a nice way to keep fit over the winter without having to clean your bike each time you go out!!
I now have a day recovering, whilst son has a long day at work, think he will be tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment