Sunday 6 April 2014

Sunday 6th April

A very wet and miserable day today, not heavy rain, just drizzle and fog, which I suppose is low cloud. The town we live in is the highest in Somerset, so must attract low cloud.
My plans for today were for a long bike ride 40miles + or a good offload run down the coast, but after getting up nice and early it didn't take long for me to wimp out, telling myself I would have a good run tomorrow, more about that later. I had an email from my mate DaveP who wimped out of an Audax over Exmoor and a climb of Porlock hill, he said he didn't fancy a day of wind and rain on the highest parts of Exmoor, can't blame him really, I hope the weather is better for the New Forest Audax at beginning of May.
A leisurely breakfast, muesli with lots of fruit, followed by thick whole meal  toast and Marmite. Thwarted by the weather and not fancying practising my DIY skills, We ended up having coffee at Joshua's in Ottery St Mary on the pretence of getting another 3kg bag of their muesli.
The rest of the day was spent 'faffing' about preparing my walking gear and the campervan for a trip to North Wales tomorrow, I am booked in Beddgelery campsite for a few nights. A solo trip with Moel Hebog ridge, south ridge of Snowdon and finally the Glyders in my plans, and hopefully a couple of  off road runs.

Not been a good week for getting out, 3days of Bikeability I managed to get a pleasant run over Neroche, 7miles I went well and felt good. Friday was cracking weather so out came the bike. I decided to go and have a look at Athelney and the floods, roads were good, Athelney seems to have got off likely, Burrowbridge looked a little more worn, fields were very brown and still very damp, but floods seem to have gone. Down through Staithe crossing huge pipes from the pumping stations, and on to Langport. The sun shone and it was very warm. The road from Langport to Muchelney which was on tv a lot during the crisis, but was very clear and surprisingly in good condition. Back through Drayton, Hatch and finally over the hills through Horton and Broadway. Unfortunately I had gone far further than I intended and only took a small  bottle of drink and several marzipan marbles, insufficient for the 50 miles I had covered, so by the time I got home felt quite hungry, and tired, think the onset of 'bonk' the Garmin said I had used 2400 calories! still a great ride, to be followed by a snooze in the chair after lunch of home made leek and potato soup, and thick homemade cheese bread, large mug of tea included.
Another surprise this week, I managed to get to Cotswold camping at Darts farm to return my Speedcross shoes, after much haggling as I didn't have proof of purchase, they agreed to send the back to Salomon for the cost of the postage. They sent them off the same day AND! The next day I had a phone call from Cotswold saying that Salomon had agreed to replace  them and would send a new pair, RESULT! :-) worth the trouble sending them back.
So all in all a good week, oh! Forgot we went to Trago Mills on Saturday and on the way back called in Mark Partridge cycles at Kenneford, lots of people buying bikes and they had a secondhand Dawes folding bike, just the right pried and condition for a purchase, we now have 2 folders we can use I the van.
So now it's off to pack the sleeping bag ready forte off first thing tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment