Wednesday 30 August 2017

Weather gets better, lots of activity and a Bank Holiday.

30th August 2017

Following on from the last post Wednesday dawned bright and sunny, it was actually going to be a good day for a Wobble!
Ten of us gathered to decide on today’s coffee stop. We chose Hestercombe as most of us had, had a few trips to the coast lately so an inland trip seemed a good choice.

We set off at a good pace , down the lanes recently resurfaced or should I say surface dressed with those horrible stones leaving piles of grit and stones to catch you unawares on the corners!!! We had to take it steady in places. Up and over Bickenhall and Slough Green before descending down to cross the A358, a dual carriageway where traffic doesn’t take prisoners!! Fortunately there are traffic lights to slow them one way and there is a central refuge to wait until the other carriageway is clear. Crossed over we went on through Creech St Michael and the horrid speed bumps and chicane style traffic calming, must be horrible to live there and travel through those every day!

Over the M5 Bridge looking smugly at the traffic racing along, all three lanes very busy, before climbing up though the newly built housing of Monkton Heathfield and onto Hestercombe House and a welcome coffee stop


A pot of tea and a piece of strawberry flapjack hit the spot nicely, it wasn’t too busy so we were able to dominate the café with the 10 of us dragging tables together. It was lovely sat in the sunshine, but! All too soon it was time to remount and return. We went a similar way home but added a few extra miles bu going back round North Curry and Hatch Beauchamp, 41 miles only, but a lovely ride in great weather, no wind either!!

Thursday yet again dawned bright and sunny and Thursday was run day, a trip to Sainsburys to stock up for the Bank Holiday before I put on my trainers for an evening run, it is strange how the body changes each time you exercise, last week the same run, I really struggled, heavy legs, no power etc, today was totally different I knew it was better after the first hill, I felt good so pushed the pace, 6.4 miles, at a 9 min mile pace, I really enjoyed it, the down side was my Plantar Fasciitiswas nagging me when I sat down later, and the following morning! I really don’t know what to do about it I have tried several things, but I am reluctant to give up running, but! Maybe I need a couple of months of to get it right!!!!!!

Friday was again lovely, very little wind so decided I would meet up with the Wheelers for their afternoon ride, its usually quite fast  for the first 24 miles to the café and then a steady ride back for the last 18 miles. Many of them had met up early for a longer ride, but I couldn’t make it so, that left 2 of us to do the ride, I knew Mark from before and knew he was a strong rider, but we agreed to let each other know if the pace was too high! We set a good pace with an average of 17.5 mph to the café !!! which was fast for me, But I didn’t feel too bad and apart from the uphills where I managed to hang on to Marks wheel I did quite well and pleased with my performance, it was a good afternoon for cycling, warm, sunny, no wind. A welcome cuppa at Martock  Cedar Tree café at Yandles wood yard

we were able to sit outside, another 6 of us this time and again it was soon time to saddle up for the ride home. It was a good pace, a bit fast at times especially the big 15% climb out of Seavington  St Michael. A great ride and will try to catch it this week weather permitting I think the faster pace helps my fitness 40 miles covered at 16.5 mph.

Saturday was Bank holiday Saturday, and that means stay at home as its busy everywhere, it was gloriously sunny again, unlike the weather of recent times. I made the decision to go to Seaton to do the Park Run as I was feeling fit and I hadn’t done one since March.

It was easy driving down, as it was early, 240 of us lined up on the pebbles, many holiday visitors, I wondered how they would get on with the pebbles at the start and at the turns!!!
It was a good run I tried to keep a steady pace and kept a couple of runners in sight as a pacer, the pebbly turns certainly slowed you down! It was soon over and I recorded 16mins 57 secs which was 1 min and 3 secs slower than last time, so pleased with that, it was however, very hot!! I think the winner was something like 16 mins!!!

Sunday I decided to rest and spent the day sat in the shade reading!! But Monday I was out on my bike early to beat the heat, out at 8 back by 10:15,  28 miles covered .

Tuesday was another run off road with Rachael my neighbour, 6.1 miles off road round Neroche, an enjoyable run wher we are able to solve all the world’s problems and more!!! It was once again very hot.


Today [Wednesday] the weather has changed and started off very wet! And chilly, you can tell it’s a wobble day!! So no wobble for me, perhaps the weather will be better tomorrow! For a ride 

No comments:

Post a Comment