Tuesday 1 August 2017

A cycle, a walk, a run and new trainers


2nd August 2017
Last week was a busy week with a good 39 mile cycle ride over the Blackdown Hills on Tuesday, Churchstanton, Hemyock, Dunkeswell with 5000 ft of climbing, a hard ride but the weather was lovely after the changeable weather we seem to be having at the moment. 

Wednesday dawned wet and windy so no Wobble again!!! My new running shoes arrived a pair of Asics Cumulus, my old Nimbus  have managed approximately 700 miles plus over eighteen months. I did a short town run on Wednesday evening after the rain only 3.4 miles with my daughter who was visiting.

Thursday was a nice change as I met up with an old work colleague [old being a key word as he was 86!] for a walk on Dartmoor. We caught the bus from Oakhampton to the Fox and Hounds on the west side of the Moor and then walked over the Moor back to Oakhampton via Great Links Tor, Sourton, Meldon Reservoir a good 10.4 miles on a very moody moor with sunshine and showers, it was good to walk with Martin as we used to run an Expedition Group at the Local college, Martin was very fit !!

                         Open North Moor


                                    View West from Sourton
                                     Meldon Res

                                      View towards HIgh Willhayes and Yes Tor

Saturday I was up early for a run and put on my new trainers, they felt very plush and given my problems lately with Tendonitus and Plantar Faciliwhats it!! I thought it would help and I think it did I felt very comfortable 5.1 miles.

Sunday was a cycling day with an early morning ride of 26 miles over the levels, this was before driving over to Highbridge to look at a campervan/motorhome , an Autosleeper Lancashire, very nice vehicle, but! Too big for us so no new van, we finished the day with a 99 ice cream in the park at Burnham on Sea before the heavens opened.

Monday the weather was looking good, and Mrs Ian B was busy, I wanted to see if my fitness would be good enough for the Jurassic 10 k on the coast at West Bay, so I was running by 8:30 heading up the hill out of West Bay feeling ok, walking up Thorncombe Beacon, but a fast run back down again! 5.2 miles in just over the hour, I felt OK and decided when I got home to enter the race next Sunday, so watch this space!!

                      Thorncombe Beacon looking west towards Golden Cap and Lyme Regis

So overall a good week despite the appalling weather , I have not worn shorts since returning from France  two weeks ago, the weather this morning the rain is hammering on the window, so no Wobble ride again today!!.

My plan for the rest of the week is to run the Jurassic route tomorrow, then cycle Friday, rest Saturday and race on Sunday.

92 miles cycled and 24 miles run

No comments:

Post a Comment