Wednesday 9 March 2016

A week nearer Grizzly run, last preparation.



Wednesday 9th March

Since my day out on my bike last  week in the wind and rain, I have managed to get another 12 mile coastal run, a 6 mile road run,30 mile cycle and a final 17 mile run across the Quantocks as well as a couple of spin sessions. Do I feel ready for the 20 miles of the tough Grizzly run with the hills, bogs and river crossings? Not sure!! It will still be a struggle despite all my training. My last run across the Quantocks was a bitterly cold day and my pace was 12.04 min miles, my best time yet, my right calf really felt it and I was thinking it would get worse before I finished, I did wear an elastic bandage for support, which is what I will do on Sunday. All I can do is my best, I have already dismissed the thoughts of the Ex to Ax this year and will focus on cycling, there is an Audax on that day down round the Purbecks and Weymouth which I will probably do with my son.

On another note I finally picked up my retro bike, my Gazelle Trim Trophy, 1984. it fits well with adjustment to the stem and the seat moved back a little, rides very well very nippy, the gearing feels high with the 42/52 chain rings and 13 -26 freewheel, so will look if I can replace the chain rings to reduce the size of the gears. More on this later.

I also went to Street and Clarkes village shopping centre, the Asics shop for some new road running shoes as my existing ones have a hole in the uppers where my toe has worn away the material, my 3 wonderful children took pity gave me the money for my birthday. I have gone for the same model the Nimbus 16, but  half a size bigger, as they seemed OK last year after 600 miles! They were reduced from £130 to £71 so felt I had a reasonable bargain. Tried them on a 6 mile road run and they felt really good, its amazing what new shoes feel like, extremely comfortable.


 Ones on the left 500 miles and 1 year old,  ones on the right 6 miles and 2 days old
 There is a hole in my shoe right shoe !!!


So a spin session Thursday night and a short 4 -5 mile run on Friday to finish off my training. Weather is looking OK ,unlike the northerly gales and heavy rain today. my plan is to take a 'tailwind drink' top up with water at the drink stations and take 2 energy bars chopped into small pieces and a gel just in case!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment