Monday 23 October 2023

Autumn is here!

 Mon 23rd Oct 

Still suffering from my dental trip last Monday ! Leaving me with ‘sensitive’ teeth with hot/ cold drinks and hard food such as nuts. So we start the search for a new Dental practice, given it’s all private now, I want someone who treats you well and you are happy that what you have paid for is worth the money! Our £320 was poor value! 

A week of poor weather and what I assume is the tail end/ repercussions of storm Babette in Scotland that seems to have reaped havoc across the north of England and Scotland. This has meant cycling was not an option either wind or rain or both! So still needing to keep fitness it was back to running between showers. I managed 3 runs this week, one off road on my Berrow church run the other two down the seafront, Saturday saw me running the furthest in over a year 5.05 miles!! I felt good that morning and though leg is still numb no issues 😂 so last week 12.2 miles, very pleased with that. 

Sunday I was able to meet up with cycling buddy Lisa after her holibobs in Spain, nice catch up, on a lovely afternoon  weather wise, no wind and sunshine, I overdressed whilst Lisa turned up in short sleeve jersey! At least she had three quarter tights, but! Fingerless mitts ! I had long sleeve vest, windproof jersey, full finger gloves and a buff ( which I soon took off) we made our way out over Burtle way and round through West Hay to stop at sweets for tea and cake, really nice change for it not to be crowded out ( 2:0 pm ) flapjack and tea consumed, I presented lisa with her Audax medal from Wales as I know she likes her bling 😂😂



Before we headed off across Tealham Moor, turning right up the hill and over to Wedmore by the lanes, annoyingly a couple on E-bikes overtook us on the hill, after we had overtaken them on the levels! They didn’t look like they needed E-bikes to me! Back through Stoughton and Blackford a bit different to last weeks weather ! Through Mark and Rooks Bridge, a great ride out 35 miles covered at 14.5 mph, happ with that having not cycled all week, trouble is now I am tempted to enter the Welsh castles Audax on the 19 th November! But shorter days and thoughts of big hills is dampening my enthusiasm😂 

On a sad note to finish, I went to visit a close friend who I used to play squash with, David is a year older than me and his wife was midwife to our first son, sadly he has dementia, David although looking fit and well, had no idea who we were, his wife was giving full time care now as David struggles with everything, good to see she gets two days respite a week to allow her to have time to herself. Life seems very cruel sometimes and we both left them, feeling very upset to see him in such a state, it dies make you reflect on your own situation, i sometimes get down with my wife’s cancer situation and all the things that go with it, colostomy bags, hernias, operations, blood pressure, but! This pails into insignificance when I look at the commitment Susan has to give to David 24 hrs a day 7 days a week! As I always keep saying, it’s not the retirement we signed up for, but we are where we are and can change little except support our partners as much as possible and live each day to its full! Even though that’s difficult to do, especially with an incompetent government who have run the health service and any other service into the ground to replace with profit making businesses 😡

Looking like a damp week ahead so maybe running week rather than cycling, Health walk lead on Thursday, but more about that next time . 

No comments:

Post a Comment